Col. 3:16: 'Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”
To be a disciple of Jesus means that we are to follow His example. Jesus was a disciple-maker and so should we. The command to “make disciples of all nations” was given to every believer in the church. Whereas not every believer will necessarily preach a sermon or lead a small group, every mature disciple is able to mentor other believers in one-on-one discipleship.
- How did you do with last week’s homework? Share with the group.
- Study the diagram below. Disciples are not made apart from the church. The book of Ephesians says, “11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.” (Eph. 4:11-13).
- We make disciples so that we can do what?
- We win the lost so that we can do what?
- We plant and grow churches so that we can do what?
- What is your role in making disciples of all nations?
- What does the following passage say we are to do? List off each part.
Matt. 28:19-20: “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
We can win the lost using the "Three Opens". In evangelism, we like to pray the “three opens” for the lost people around us. We pray for God to:
- Open a door to the gospel,
- Open our mouths to say what clearly should be said, and
- Open their hearts so that they can believe.
Read the passages below, and determine which “opens” each passage is talking about.
Col. 4:2-4: “Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. 3 At the same time, pray also for us, that God may open to us a door for the word, to declare the mystery of Christ, on account of which I am in prison— 4 that I may make it clear, which is how I ought to speak.”
John 6:44: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.”
Instructions: Write down the names of 5 unsaved people you know and see on a regular basis. Pray the "3 Opens" for them every day this week.
Next, Write down the names of 5 people you can mentor so that they will share their faith and pray the “three opens” with 5 other people.
Bring this list with you during the next time you meet and share how you did in praying the “three opens” and working to mentor 5 others to do the same.